START | A good start for all
Some children attend childcare before going to pre-primary school, others do not and leave home to start directly in school. This, in itself, doesn’t really matter that much: beginning their school career is a major step for every young child. Either way, the transition to school settings should be well taken care of.
Warm and inclusive transition
How can basic provision work together towards smooth and warm transitions? How do we arrange for transitions to go well for more vulnerable children? In this international project, VBJK cooperates with local ECEC services and European partners to develop a pethood of professional learning to improve transition processes.
VBJK sets up collaboration in Flanders with several partners on the field in Aalst: pre- and primary school St Martin, People for People (a self-organisation for families in poverty), and a childcare centre Mezennestje. Together we look for new practices and ways to strengthen the links between childcare and pre-primary school.
Having this local research project, START is also a European cooperation. With our partners in Aalst, we also work with research centres and ECEC services in Italy (Bologna University), the UK (Pen Green), and Slovenia (Pedagoškiinštitut – Korak za korakom).
For more information on the START project and its results see http://start.pei.si/results/
- Literature review: Literature Review on Transitions across Early Childhood and Compulsory School Settings in Europe
- Case study Slovenia: Rethinking educational continuity through participatory action-research and professional development pathways.
- Case study United Kingdom: A Parent and Professional Partnership to Ensure Continuity from Early Care & Education Centres to Primary School in England.
- Case study Belgium: Enabling Well-being and Participation of Children and Families Living in Poverty during Transition Periods across Home, Childcare and Kindergarten.
- Case study Italy: Rethinking educational continuity through participatory action-research and professional development pathways.
- Final report: Sustaining Warm and Inclusive Transitions across the Early Years. Final report with implications for policies and practices.
- Training Toolkit: Transitions in the early years – Tools Used in the START Project – Inspiration for Professionals